15 September 2009

book report

i finally finished The Omnivore's Dilemma last month. yeah, it took a while (those of you who notice my current read were probably thinking i'd forgotten to change it or something) but i had a baby and moved twice during that time so, you know.

i would recommend this book to everyone. Micheal Pollan talks about where food comes from and, even more important, why we should care. using first hand experiences with fast, organic, small farm and personally hunted and gathered food as his main structure Pollan works through the ethics, politics, economics and rhetoric of food production, food marketing and food consumption. he gives his opinion but leaves the reader plenty of room to form her own. and ultimately inspires the reader to eat better, which in Pollan's mind means consciously.

so the one question i'll ask here (to get you thinking about reading the book) is: what does it mean that our relationship with food - a relationship even more intimate than sex, the every stuff we're made out of - is more often mediated by its price, rather than its quality or origin?

this book will help you think it through... but you don't have to take my word for it. bah- nunt, nunt!

2 comments:

jo said...

yo, cheese. I made rye bread today. Wish you guys were here to share it. Perhaps sometime soon in Reno.



p.s. I should give this book a second chance.

ash said...

Ahhh, this book seems like a good read. I feel like price guides a lot of things when you haven't a lot o' cash. Still, I know people who have little cash, buy crappy food, but go out to get manicures monthly. Hmmm. I think there is definitely a shift in priority when it comes to eating. I also think companies have done a great job marketing their salty (or sugary), packaged food. Where's the advertising for fresh fruit, ripe veggies, and tofu (which I have become more fond of in my older age)? How did the art of eating get lost to microwaves and drive-thru windows?

Gee, I didn't think I'd have that long of a comment. I should read this book!