30 June 2007

here's the church, here's the steeple

on Wednesday evening i was out talking with our next door neighbors, Lee and Leona (a newly married couple in their sixties who work for the county). they're nice folks and they watch out for us. anyway, Leona is from Delta and she was telling me about some friends of hers out there that had recently bought a new house - a church house actually - and had made it into their home. i was envisioning one of those old pioneer churches like the one in Pine Valley that would work as a house. but it turns out these friends of theirs actually bought a ward building for $50,000.00 and are living in it... just the two of them.

so what the heck, right? totally! well, they've made the chapel into a bedroom - but not their bedroom - Lee told me in a rather matter of fact way that they sleep in one of the other rooms. i didn't find out which one but i bet it's either the YW room or the Primary room. the cultural hall is the t.v. room - that's a no brainer - and they also host the family parties in there. oh, and they put their Christmas tree on the stage - Lee told me that part twice. they've got the huge parking lot surrounding them so there's no traffic to speak of but the do have three skunks living under the church. it wasn't clear whether or not they caught two of them, but the guy got sprayed. he had to throw all of his clothes and his wallet away. i asked them if he had to bathe in tomato juice and Leona told me, with a huge grin, yes... in oodles and oodles of tomato juice.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious. I think there's someone living in a church near the Jordan River Temple too. It's a cool old one though.

Also, I read in Readymade Magazine, that there are people back east buying old schools and living in them. And letting artists live there too. Pretty cool!

zlb said...

woah. this is blowing my mind.

Janice said...

In some weird way, I am kind of jeolous. It sounds kind of fun.

ash said...

I wonder if they store all of their extra stuff underneath the stage.

jo said...

Wow! Suddenly my plans for a house don't sound so cool. The Christmas tree on the stage! And there's a nice kitchen in there too! ...a place for maybe two or three ovens. wow.

Awright13 said...

I didn't know you were allowed to do that...

Hey, that's cool though.

Anonymous said...

Hey - I'm matt page's sister. I loved this blog! I would love to buy the ward we went to when I was growing up. Think of the possibilities - plenty of parking when you have people over. . . you can have people over frequently because you have all those long tables and folding chairs . . . if you are lucky enough to get a stake center, you'd have a hot tub . . . the cultural hall would be the BEST tv room in history - and you could even play basketball if you got bored . . . you could go into the men's bathroom to see how the urinals flush without fear of getting caught . . . my son would have to walk in the halls, though, and never run. . . and you'd have a whole room to hang all of your coats in. I'm so excited about this, I'm going to have a real estate agent look into it for me. The only thing is, what would you do with the chapel? I think I'd just have to lock it up and not go in there, unless I needed to get a microphone or little teeny plastic cups or something.