08 June 2007

everybody sleeps, everybody sleeps...

every night we close our eyes
until the morning creeps
mountaineers on mountain tops
and divers in the deep
they like to sleep
how we you know it's so
'cause everybody, everybody sleeps

sleep is a big deal around here these days. just short of keeping a sleep log, i'm well aware of how much and how well everyone in the family is sleeping. this last week we've been making a sleep transition with Ash so i've been getting tips and advice from several sources. one of the things i've read talks about how the sleep habits we develop as a baby/child affect the way we sleep as a teen and even an adult. this got me wondering about the habits i developed as a child and how and if they affect me now.

i don't remember naps - that's not to say i didn't take them - but i don't remember taking them. except this one time, i remember very well: my mom told my sister and i that it was nap time, she closed the curtains (which created this weird half lit room - i remember that very well) we laid down on our beds on top of the covers, and she told us to go to sleep. well, my sister and i shared a room so we just looked at each other, then at the ceiling, then at the curtains, then at the ceiling... then we got up. but that was once. what i remember more is being very quiet sitting in the kitchen learning how to tie my shoe or hiding on the stairs (great hiding place) trying to blow a bubble with some big pink gum i wasn't supposed to have while my mom was taking a nap. oh, and i would always try to fake like i was asleep after driving home in the evening so Mom or Dad would carry me inside. i probably fooled them two or three times.

and now, all i really know is that it takes me a lot longer to fall asleep than it does for English to fall asleep and i have a thing called the sleep demon*.

so what does that mean for Ash? well, as far as i can tell she's a pretty good little sleeper and i don't think i can take much credit. she's been way smarter than me from the beginning. my only concern is that we'll be swaddling her until she's fifteen.

* sleep demon (n): an irritable spirit or fiend that inhabits the bodies of those who do not want to be awake, usually for only a short time, but can last up to several minutes. She was possessed by the sleep demon when someone woke her up from a much needed nap to ask her a silly question. do not provoke.

3 comments:

jo said...

Indeed! I love these comparatives (is that a word? it is now). And I find that I have the sleep demon more often than not these days. It used to just be something I recognized in older brothers and sisters, but now... I suppose I've graduated.

Janice said...

My kids are going to be horrible sleepers then. Oh, I am married to a posseser of the sleep demon. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

Anonymous said...

I have the same swaddle worry for Basil. I have the sleep demon right now. I'm soooo tired and want to nap but am having a hard time doing it.