14 July 2007

that reminds me of a hymn

speaking of church... everyone has hymns that they like. ones that they look forward to singing with 'vigor and vim', to use a phrase from a primary song. i'd say my top five are:
  1. High On a Mountain Top - hymn no. 5
  2. For the Beauty of the Earth - no. 92
  3. In Humility, Our Savior - no. 172
  4. All Creatures of Our God and King - no. 62
  5. Abide with Me! - no. 166
likewise there are hymns that i really do not care for and even have trouble mustering up the desire to sing (gasp!) but that's the truth. my bottom five are (sorry if you like these ones):
  1. The Iron Rod - no. 274
  2. As Sisters in Zion - no. 309
  3. True to the Faith - no. 254
  4. Let Us Oft Speak Kinds Words to Each Other - no. 232
  5. Who's on the Lord's Side? - no.260
now, ye who are without dislikes, cast the first stone. just as i thought... no stones. admit it. there are hymns you don't like either.

7 comments:

Jess said...

Are those all Eliza R. Snow Hymns? Speaking of, "In Our Lovely Deseret" is probably one of my favorites for its unintentional humor and its words of wisdom (no pun intended (actually, it was)).

Greedy Kristian said...

Finally a place were I can announce my abhorrence for "I Believe In Christ". Could that song be any longer?

FYI Excellent choices. My favorite hymn would have to be "Master the Tempest Is Raging". Why don't we sing that one more in church?

Janice said...

Least favorite: How Great Thou Art. It is always sung WAY TOO SLOW. A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is a favorite.

ash said...

I like "Sweet Hour of Prayer" and "Choose the Right" because those are the only ones I can play on the piano at the right tempo.

jo said...

I share you likes of Abide With Me and High on a Mountain Top especially the base line. Other favorites inclued: Nearer My God to Thee, Lead Kindly Light, and Be Still My Soul. I also have a soft spot in my heart for If You Could High To Kolob.

And if A Poor Wayfaring Man Of Grief is the special musical number too many times... it gets on my nerves

zlb said...

amen to "I believe in Christ"! I feel bad not liking it, but I really really don't. I like "Come Come Ye Saints", "Ring Out Wild Bells" and "We Shall Sing of Zion" no one ever sings that one and it makes me sad.

english said...

yeah, I agree with a lot of these.

The day dawn is breaking
We are all enlisted
He died! the great redeemer died

all these should have been taken out to the parking lot and thrown in the pile when they bulldozed those Cat Stevens records in the 80's. but a couple others I do like are the morning breaks and Rock of ages