12 June 2007

can Superman read minds?

okay, okay. about a month ago English and i were ranch-sitting again so we had access to cable tv. no, i didn't watch more Top Model (although i definitely could have) but i did watch Superman - the one from 1978 with Christopher Reeve. it had probably been a good fifteen, twenty years since i'd seen it last and i was surprised at how much of it i remembered: Lois making fresh-squeezed oj in her office, the helicopter dangling from the skyscraper, Lex Luthor putting the Kryptonite around Superman's neck and his assistant rescuing him from the pool (but not without a kiss first). i even remembered the interview that Superman gave Lois when he told her she was wearing pink underwear and looked through her to see her healthy lungs that weren't yet damaged by her smoking habit.

but folks, what i did not remember was the ridiculous poem that Lois's mind recites when Superman takes her for a fly after the interview. if you can picture the scene... Superman and Lois are sailing through the night sky above NYC, passing through clouds, dipping down near the Statue of Liberty, Lois even slips free of Superman's grip and starts plummeting for Earth (no worries, Superman saves her for sure). but as they're flying with the wind blowing through Lois's hair and chiffon dress and Superman's curl and cape, Lois starts narrating what you think is just stream of consciousness. but no, it's a poem of sorts:
Can you read my mind? Do you know what it is that you do to me?
I don't know who you are. Just a friend from another star.
Here I am, like a kid out of school. Holding hands with a god. I'm a fool.
Will you look at me? Quivering. Like a little girl, shivering.
You can see right through me. Can you read my mind?
Can you picture the things I'm thinking of?
Wondering why you are... all the wonderful things you are.
You can fly. You belong in the sky. You and I... could belong to each other.
If you need a friend... I'm the one to fly to.
If you need to be loved... here I am. Read my mind.
wow! or is it yikes!? and do you feel that uncanny feeling of eighth grade English class? or maybe it's a flashback of the poem in Cipher in the Snow.

7 comments:

Janice said...

The words actually lyrics to a song and the original plan was to have her sing it, but the actress couldn't sing, so instead, they just had her recite it. I don't know which would be worse.

Janice said...

Oh! I bet your could find the music and some rendition of it on-line somewhere. I remember my sister singing it with her choir in high school.

Anonymous said...

what?! this just keeps getting wores and worse... no singing Lois! no songs...

ha! it figures that a high school choir would get a hold of it and sing it.

Tom said...

If I am not mistaken, Lois and the S-Man also spend some time together in what appears to be an Emergency Solar Blanket. This makes perfect sense because they are in the icey place of his birth and a normal blanket just would not do.

Anonymous said...

Oh, we watched this movie a few months ago too! Good time, for sure. That poem is hilarious, but what I thought was even more hilarious was when they show a teenage Clark Kent running super-fast next to the train. I couldn't stop laughing!

ash said...

Do you think Superman heard all of the special words Lois was thinking. The question still remains...can Superman read minds? I can only remember a few things about the movie...okay, I can only remember the first 5 minutes of a Superman movie (I'm not sure if it's the one Kel's speaking of) so I'm not sure. All I can figure is that either Superman can't read minds or he did hear what Lois was saying and thought to himself, "I hope that's not Lois's mind I'm listening to. If so, how did she ever get a job at the Daily Planet?"

Matsby said...

Ouch. It sounds like that movie is even worse than I remember it being.