16 January 2007

top model addict

over Christmas break we did some ranch-sitting in Spring City. besides enjoying the house and the views from the house we took care of the cats, dog, horse, mules, chickens and ducks. we also went snow shoeing and ice skating. oh, right and once we were able figure out the remote controls (plural) we watched cable tv too.

to my delight VH1 was having an America's Next Top Model marathon. i won't deny it... i love Top Model. i love the elimination process. i love the ridiculous challenges. i love the super model drama. i love the crazy guests/assistants. i love it all! but i especially love the outrageous photo shoots. this is one 'reality' show that i unabashedly enjoy. i was introduced to the show in 2004 when Yoanna House was in the running and won (we were on vacation in Port Antonio and had cable tv - i remember it well). i was hooked but it was all in vain since at home we don't have a tv, let alone cable. dry spell of all dry spells! until two weeks ago when i was lucky enough to find it.

well, i watched about six hours total (spread out over a few days). one night i watched it for two hours straight then went to bed. all night my dreams were Top Model. i played the role of judge, assistant, guest, photographer... there were even a few 'episodes' where i was one of the girls aching to be the America's Next.

it was one of the worst sleeps i'd had in a while.

but, like any other addiction i wanted more. i knew my cable tv days were numbered (you can't ranch-sit forever you know). so i watched more and even bore my testimony of Top Model when my sister-in-law came to visit. yeah, it's a conscious decision and a good thing we don't have a tv.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a reality tv junkie, that is one of the reality tv shows I haven't gotten into. Now, you have me wondering why not and should I now add that to my other reality tv watching? This is getting curiouser and curiouser . . .

Mumsy said...

Love the new look, #1.

#2, Pregnancy dreams will always be some of the strangest, far-fetched dreams I have ever had.

#3, I pretend like I don't watch it, but I do, too. (When Fred isn't home.) We don't have cable either, so I'm glad it's on the trashy channel that I can get with my bunny ears.

#4, One of my sisters used to model (she lived in Milan for a little bit) and I find the whole industry so ridiculous, but I watch because I'm still sort of interested in what it's all about.

Anonymous said...

WOW. One thing I NEVER thought I'd read on YOUR blog was about America's Top Model. =D

I've actually never seen an episode (I really can't stand Tyra Banks in anything). But if YOU like it, maybe I should give it a chance....

Apparently this marathon also got Malia addicted.

zlb said...

well Kel, just one more proof that you and I are uncannily alike. I used to sneak an episode or two of Top Model when I lived with Grama. . . but my recent addiction, which I've drug Ash along in, is Project Runway. Total addict. Even bought episodes on itunes. I could burn them for you. . .

jo said...

the powers of television. your next post should be on the downfall of man due to technology. wait... this coming from someone who can't concentrate but for two seconds when she walks into a room with a tv. i take it all back.

kel said...

you have all helped me feel comfortable with my addiction. i don't know if that's what friends are supposed to do or not, but thanks just the same. and for those of you who are considering giving the show a try, i say, why not? you can always quit if you want.

Greedy Kristian said...

Guilty. I too am a ANTM addict. Let's start a group, but instead of trying to recover we can all get together and watch it. ;)

kel said...

here, here! let's hold hands as we walk down the primrose path together!