16 May 2006

you be the judge

English and i have a 'difference of opinion' every four, five months or so over whether the set of Sony headphones that we now share were his or mine (for we both owned a pair prior to our eternal commitment). the 'discussion' never amounts to much but that fact that we keep having it makes me wonder how i can prove to him that they were in fact mine and it was i who contributed them to the marriage. after all, this is important information. now you may be thinking to yourself, 'how can she be so sure? how does she know one set of Sony headphones from the next?' those are great questions, and now i will answer them for you...

first of all, i have been using my set of Sony headphones on a regular basis for the past six years. i got them when i purchased a new Walkman so i could listen to my mix tapes while i painted (oil on panel mostly). now this is critical evidence: there is a small amount of white paint on the left ear piece and a bit more phthalo blue paint on the right ear piece. the same paint that appears on the Walkman itself (that i still own, by the way). hard evidence people - hard!

now for English's argument (from my point of view): 'but i had a set of these headphones too. don't you remember i used to listen to music in between classes and...'

'yes, yes, yes. and you'd wear them upside down so the band that's supposed to go over your head hung down by your chin like a helmet strap... i remember.'

'so i had a pair too.'

wow. that's some case you've got there. oh, and by the way, remember how you left the country for a couple of years and all of your stuff, including the headphones were available to anyone who could get into your house and stick a bent hanger in the doorknob to your room? yeah.

so why would he assume that i would have a harder time keeping track of my set of headphones, that i lost them some how, and that the ones that are sitting on the shelf are his? not that it matters or anything. we do share them. but i get first dibs - 'cause they're mine.

11 comments:

Mumsy said...

Men can't keep track of ANYTHING. Sorry, but it's the cold, hard truth. They can't find things when they lose them, and often you find yourself at the end of a pointed finger and raised eyebrows. It's the same old thing--they open the cupboard, fridge, closet, whatever, and because they can't immediately see it, they assume it's not there. And what's more, I find that men tend to leave things behind when they go places--umbrellas, jackets, books, etc. I'm not saying this happend to English.....I've just seen it happen before to someone I know. So, now that I have said my piece about that--They are TOTALLY yours!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Lindsey has some issues. Let's hope this is the worst arguement you and English have. How I wish that is all Chris and I could come up with to bicker about!

english said...

jeez Kelly! why are you always hanging our dirty laundry out for the neighbors to see?!
you know what? fine! first thing tomorrow morning I'm going out to walmart and buying you all the blasted earphones they have in stock, and you can paint them any color you please. mail some to your cousin if you want, or whoever. I don't care.
;)

kel said...

people, peeeople... please, just slow and calm down. i love you all and i know that someday in heaven we will all laugh about this in our chiffon clothing. so let's just have a good laugh and say things like, "yeah! if you know it's phthalo blue, the headphones are yours," or "that English character... he needs to watch Twelve Angry Men again." you know stuff for the summer time.

jo said...

that English character... he needs to watch Twelve Angry Men again. Besides, it's a really good movie (not to mention Tony Danza, eh?) I don't know kel, you have pretty good case. But [insert something about bygones here]. It sounds like you guys have a good system down. And do you think, if you got a new pair you'd paint them white to look like ipod earphones. I don't know. I'm just sayin'.

Matsby said...

So as I first started reading this blog, I thought that if English says they are his, then they must be. I know him well enough to know that he wouldn't say they were his if he wasn't sure.

But then your evidence with the paint on the headphones matching the paint on the walkman is pretty solid evidence - it might even hold up in court. So then I was with you.

But then I read Lindsey's highly-offensive comments about men being forgetful and all that and so then I am back on English's side again.

You know, he is the paterfamilias and as such deserves a little respect.

Besides, I rember hanging out with English in the hallway one day after school and I was messing around with some paint and we started to fight about something and I flicked some paint at him and I remember he started to cry because the paint got on his headphones. Is it the same pair of headphones? I can't say for sure. But that would be quite a coincidence...

Greedy Kristian said...

Very compelling arguement. I can't believe English is still fighting you after all these years and after such obvious evidence they are yours...Then again, fights like these (that last a life time) are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

After reading "The Mediocre Gatsby's" comments, I'm so unsure now. Maybe they are English's. However, Kelly makes a compelling arguement as well. I say throw them out and buy two new pair. Why save when you can spend?

kel said...

good point, Janice. i'm pretty sure there's a quote in that book What We Wish We Knew When We Were Newlyweds by John (& wife) Bytheway that says pretty much the same thing.

Mumsy said...

I thought that book was written by Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey....

T.R. said...

HOTT!!