23 May 2006

TGiF & T.G.I.F.

i know it's not Friday - it's Tuesday. but let's take a minute to remember not one, but two TGIFs. of course i am referring to ABC's hilarious block of sitcoms, TGiF and the restaurant with flair-to-the-max, T.G.I. Friday's*. the founders of fun.
*warning: the website plays a rockin', unsolicited song on the homepage - big surprise
.

first let's start with TGiF. who could compete with the incredible line up when TGiF was first invented? i mean, it was one kicker after another: Perfect Strangers, Full House, Mr. Belvedere, and Just the Ten Of Us. okay, okay. Just the Ten Of Us was kind of lame but hey, it was the first year of TGiF. Mr. Belvedere was soon replaced by Family Matters and it wasn't long before Full House was bumped out of the TGiF schedule to be shown during a more prime spot during the week. no major objections there. fortunately Going Places only lasted one season and Step-By-Step took it's place. the full two hours of comedy and life lessons continued.

it's Friday night,
and the mood it right.

come have some fun,

show you how it's done: T-G-I-F!


for a few years the catchy TGiF jungle meant fun and excitement... (air guitar) 'weekend!' (air guitar). but between the ages of 14 and 16 the jazzy number meant your friends didn't call and you were a loser. the bait-and-switch of TGiF.

as for T.G.I. Friday's, it was equally - if not more awesome when it was invented. i think it was one of the first restaurants to clutter the walls with crazy crap. they had license plates from like, 43 of the 50 states - and they were all rusty and stuff. plus, the waiters weren't stuffy jerks who were on-the-job. these people were your friends... pals... old chums! 'those chicken strips are pretty darn good, wouldn't ya say? the honey-mustard dippin' sauce it where it's at! can i gitcha another Dr. Pepper there? no prob!' a completely new kind of dining experience... with flair!

but pretty soon the waiters were nothing but obnoxious and the crazy crap plus the freaking loud music, not to mention the decline in flavor and texture of the chicken strips, added up to a lousy dining experience. what gives T.G.I. Friday's?

once the two TGIFs were like beacons in the darkness of a fifth-grade school week. now... well, why should we dwell on the way they are now? instead let's sing theme songs and dream of ordering the Loaded Potato Skins.

standin' tall on the wings of my dream.
rise and fall on the wings of my dream.

the rain and thunder, the wind and haze,

i'm bound for better days (ahhh-ahhh)

it's my life - it's my dream,
nothin's gonna stop me now...

11 comments:

jo said...

As soon as I stopped laughing I decided to recall my experience with TGIF, and I can remember thinking, "crap, my friends haven't called... well, I guess it's TGIF for me." Reluctantly I would turn on the television and inevitably Sabrina the Teenage Witch would be on. Blah. But there came a day when I actually started laughing at the less-than-witty jokes and thinking, "Sabrina the Teenage Witch will be on soon," and I decided that my sojourn with TGIF needed to come to an end.

Anonymous said...

Yes, but if you are craving good wings, TGIF is still the place to go. They actually serve it with blue cheese dressing. And their ice cream Oreo dessert isn't too shabby either.

T.R. said...

wa-ba wa wa wa-na
dindindin dindindin
dindindin dindindin
da dlllllla!

T.R. said...

janice, are you a TGIF spy?

Anonymous said...

TR: No, but I am Republican and BYU Cougars fan.

T.R. said...

TGIF spy!!!

Anonymous said...

So is that the code name people are using for TGIF spys these days?

My favorite was Hangin' With Mr. Cooper.

Anonymous said...

Ok, Kelly, I blame this web site for my pregnancy craving for wings. I spent all night dreaming about them and finally had to succomb this afternoon.

kel said...

give into your cravings. they usually mean your body needs the thing you're craving... like hot sauce and protein... everyone needs protein.

Greedy Kristian said...

I almost shed a tear. That was poetic. Ode to my middle school years. MORE, MORE!!!

Mumsy said...

Janice--

You're craving wings? I know a place. (said in a NY accent) Head on into The Big Apple sometime and then you'll get a taste of real deal--with all the blue cheese dressing and celery you can take. Congrats, by the way.

And, I must say that as cheesy as TGIF was, it was still better than what's on ABC now. Just a humble opinion--but really, who can stand Kelly Ripa? Ah, the memories of many a Friday night at home watching Uncle Jessie combing his hair, and Uncle Joey telling stupid jokes, and Bob Faggot, I mean Sagget, mopping the floor. And don't get me started on Urkel. Those were the days. Those WERE the days....