26 May 2006

some chores are better than others

this morning i took the garbage out without any problem or hesitation... but the pile of clothes on my bedroom floor is still there and it just keeps growing as the days go by.

things i do not like to do:
  1. fold up my clothes
  2. put my clothes away
  3. wash the dishes
  4. put the dishes away
  5. put most things away (i'd rather make piles all over the house)
  6. clean the hair out of my hair brush
  7. unpack after a trip (camping or otherwise)
  8. clean the bathroom floor
things i do without any objection:
  1. take out the garbage
  2. laundry: phase 1 (put clothes in the washer then drier)
  3. grocery shopping
  4. make the bed
  5. water the plants/yard/garden
  6. cook meals
  7. scrub the kitchen sink (it's porcelain)
things i do without any objection - but rarely do:
  1. vacuum
  2. sweep
  3. dust
  4. clean the bathroom (except for the floor)
  5. iron my clothes
once i read a magazine article with all these great ways to keep a clean house; crap like, 'set a timer for 20 minutes everyday and clean until the timer goes off'. what does that even mean? the only one that made sense was: plan parties and get togethers at your house... then you'll want to clean/straighten up. not a bad idea, but i can see one flaw: what if you aren't embarrassed to have people over to your unkempt house? then what?

3 comments:

Mumsy said...

Hah! I say to that list of things that will get you to clean your house. Try having all your friends say to you, "I didn't clean up because I know you don't care and your place is always messy, too." Uh, thanks, I think.

I don't mind doing most chores except for one: I hate to refill the liquid soap dispenser. Fred has taken over that for me--and the garbage. The garbage gets so much worse when you have to trek it down many stairs with a bag full of really, really stinky diapers. That's the motivation to take it out. :)

Anonymous said...

Ok, the set timer and see how much you can get done really does work for me. And with little kids, it is great motivation--so don't knock it until you try it. On my top of the list issues is putting away clothes and making food. Why does everyone demand to be feed every few hours!

jo said...

I love making piles! Besides, that way I know where everything is. No seriously... but I think you understand this.