06 April 2010

shaking it off

so i have a few thoughts about today, none of which would make a very interesting post on its own. so i'm letting them tag along at the end of this post of our Easter weekend.




i like Easter. so do these kids. we had a very nice, relaxing weekend dyeing eggs, searching for hidden Reese's peanut butter cups, watching some conference (first Sunday session of GC: President Uchtdorf's talk, awesome). since then, Ash and i have had at least one discussion a day about when we can have some candy and why we don't eat it for breakfast. but we do love those marshmallow Peeps!

today i got a ticket for going 26mph in a 15mph school zone. if i'm ever going to get a ticket for going too fast i'd prefer it to be in a school zone. however, (of course, there has to be a 'however') the major frustration here was that this school zone - in front of McQueen High - doesn't have the usual 15 mph sign with flashing lights. instead a small, 'FROM 7:00 AM TO 3:00PM' is printed under the standard 15 mph sign. yes, it's my fault i didn't see it. yes, i deserve the ticket. but it really, really ($255) bugs me. and i think they should get a couple yellow flashers over there.

but here's the weirdest part. as i was driving down the road, approaching the school zone a memory popped into my head: when i was about 17 i was in the car with my mom when she got a ticket for going 30 or so in a 25 mph zone on the way to my grandma's house. i remember thinking, come on cop. my mom is one of the best, safest, most speed limit-abiding drivers i know. this is not necessary. i was remembering how i felt bad for my mom when she got that ticket and then bam! real time. i see the motorcycle cop in the church parking lot and well, you know the rest. crazy. maybe my mom was trying to send me a message. i didn't get it quick enough, Mom. nuts!

but things are looking better. i just picked up the second batch of prints from our back-dated photo library. i made a goal a while back to get up to date printing our digital photos, then staying current. fall of 2004 through spring of 2007 is printed and in the process of being put into albums. that's pretty good, yeah? oh, and i'm a big fan of Costco's online photo center (13¢ a print!).

and though it doesn't quite equalize the stupid ticket, after thinking i was out of onions and forgetting to drop by the grocery store while we were running errands, i found one for the al pastor chicken tacos i'm making for dinner tonight. and the avocados are just right.

8 comments:

Janice said...

Post the recipe for the tacos.

Jamie said...

Aw stinky!! Im so sorry! Youre totally right about the school zone there, itll get you everytime. Thats a whole lot of money though! Hope the rest of your week goes good.

jo said...

Man, I know how you feel about the speeding ticket. Sad to say, but I've been there so many times. But you sound like you're shaking it off quite well and you're right about Mom too. I remember thinking the same thing.

Good job on the excellent Easter, miracle onions and the al pastor. Let us know how they turn out... I have to say, al pastor is one of my favorite things in the world. So impressed you can make it.

The KGB Family said...

Yikes! What a bummer. At least you get to enjoy a super tasty dinner. Food always makes it better.

Heather said...

$255! That stinks! Your mom was right there with you.
Costco is having a sale on their prints...Michael just brought home the coupon yesterday so make sure you get it, $0.09 per print.
You're a gem!

ash said...

Way to shake it off Kel. Sorry for the ticket. I know how it feels. I agree with you on Elder Uchtdorf's talk. We both liked it here. Looks like Easter was a nice time at your house. And I'd like to get some more details on your photo goal and how you organize. Sounds like it may be worth the Costco membership.

Lindsey Hicks said...

That is a really expensive ticket. Your money alone should be enough to pay for the lights. I totally think you're mom had your back on that one. At least next time you'll have the code down pat.

Sblogger said...

Shoot I hate tickets. I hate the feeling of seeing those flashing lights and knowing that they want you, yes you, to pull over and discuss the speed of your vehicle. Do you remember when you got mad at me when I was speeding in front of the school on Bengal Blvd.? You were hitting the back of my seat repeating, "you're breaking the law!" until I slowed down? I was glad you warned me because although there WERE flashing lights in this case, I hadn't noticed them, so you helped me avoid them. BUMMER about the ticket but hooray for Easter, GC, the onion and being caught up with the pictures from 2004-2007! Way to go Kel!