11 March 2010

55 years later, it's still great

when was the last time you watched Albert Lamorisse's The Red Balloon? up until 7:00 pm this evening it had been a good twenty-three years or so for me. but i just watched it with Ash and it's even better than i remembered. true, one of the reasons i liked it more was because i was watching it with my little Ash who really got into the story, asked several questions, and laughed every time anyone chased in vain after the balloon. but i also liked it more this time because i'm not seven years old and fixated on the part when those jerks stomp on his red balloon, forgetting all of the other great stuff. i guess that kind of thing happens when you're seven.


so check it out. there is a good reason it won so many awards back in 1956.

5 comments:

Janice said...

Every snow recess growing up, we watched that show. I HATED it. Maybe as an adult, I would like it.

Lindsey Hicks said...

I don't think I've ever seen it. I'll have to netflix it.

ash said...

Just watched it on youtube. Truly a classic. Better than I remembered too. How'd they get that little kid to not be scared at the end? Is it really him up there. Love when he grabs it with his teeth at the beginning. Thanks for the reminderon this one.

Jennifer said...

I vaguely remember watching the movie...it's almost a dream-like memory that occasionally pops up from my subconscious.

Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I saw the movie at all! I think we had a large picture book of the movie. I should see if my mom still has that book...

Isn't it cool to revisit movies you saw as a child. I like that feeling of "Oh, I get it now!"

jo said...

Oh yeah, the Red Balloon. I also remember most vividly the portion where the kids gang up on the boy and his balloon. I should watch it again just to see how I like it these days. I've always wanted to do that. I'm glad to know it's still out there.