23 September 2008

that's a rather big slice of the pie

so i've been doing a lot of pregnancy and birth-related research lately and it was only a matter of time before some of the more interesting facts appeared on my blog (and probably will continue to pop up every now and again). i know it's not as exciting as photos of Ash or anecdotes about students, etc. but that doesn't necessarily mean you may not find it interesting yourself but enough with the disclaimer.

did you know that...
one in every four - closing in on three - births in the United States are cesarean?

doesn't that seem really high? yeah, it's crazy!

5 comments:

Mumsy said...

I was horrified when I first read that in a book awhile ago. You should see if you can find it at the library (probably not...) It's called Pushed. It has made me never, ever want to be induced or use drugs during labor again.

Does this mean an announcement is coming soon? Just wondering....

Sblogger said...

That seems way too high! I knew it was a large %age but I had no idea it was that high. I think it's sad.

jo said...

wow. That is a large slice o' the pie. And Square One did teach me how to read a pie graph so I know just how big it is.

crazy.

ash said...

I'd like to see a pie graph from Excel please. Seriously though, this makes me want to learn more about this phenomenon.

jefferies said...

Yeah, pretty sad and scary. I like to think that I did natural birth more out of my scardness of the drugs and needles, myself. But it ended up being very cool!