11 February 2008

paradise found and remembered

it was a balmy 64 degrees in St. George this weekend. it felt like paradise. English was attending a conference (where they fed him turkey sandwiches with American cheese and talked about service learning... sorry, love), while Ash and i basked in the warm sun as much as we could. the last time i felt this fondly of St. George was March of 1997 when my three best friends and i spent a long weekend hanging out, eating quite a bit as i recall, getting tans - or burns, rather - and dancing in an empty parking lot. it was spring break and it felt like paradise.


back to 2008: Saturday night the Holiday Inn hosted the junior prom. borrowed Cadillacs and shiny Hondas filled the parking lot. lucky for us we were staying at the Holiday Inn and i could unabashedly watch from the mezzanine as teens filed in, fidgeted, smiled, talked awkwardly, chewed gum, looked at their shoes and adjusted their satin formals. i probably enjoyed it more than i should have but man, it was fun.

English took me to junior prom in April of 1997 at the Utah State Capitol, which has terrible acoustics but fabulous backdrops. i still carry this group photo in my wallet.

7 comments:

Greedy Kristian said...

These pictures are great. What a blast from the past. Stacey (but maybe it was Stephanie) was the first person I meet when I started school at Brookwood Elementary. She had to show me the ropes. Those 2 are cool cats.

Mumsy said...

What great memories.

Prom....
I have a similar picture hidden away somewhere. Only it was from our high school's Christmas dance. I wore a poofy purple dress and had poofy blond hair to match. No one will ever see that picture.

Sara Ann said...

Wow! Thanks for the walk down memory lane:) Sara Wilkey front row 3rd from the left...my date carried a fake gun that night..interesting how that was allowed in those days!

cate said...

DUDE! My BROTHER is in that picture. You would love that guy...I mean really.

jo said...

i hope the trip did wonders for you winter doldrums.

and the sun is out!

zlb said...

yeah 1997!!!! wooooohoooo!!!!

ash said...

1997 was a good year. I really liked your dress then and I still do now.