27 December 2006

end of series

after my adrenaline level returned to normal i was able to respond.
As your instructor, it's my responsibility to make clear to you why the reflection was unacceptable, and what you can do to avoid making similar mistakes in the future. I responded only to what you gave me in regards to this assignment: your attendance of the film and your written reflection of the film, both of which were dismissive and not at the college level.

It is difficult to interpret statements like these:

All that I learned from the movie was that the black people were forced to live in government built housing called the Meadowlands. Other than that, I couldn't find any other reasons that the black people disliked the white people.

I have no idea what it had to do about art other than the singing in that movie. Music is art and that was the only artsy thing I found in it. Maybe the end of the movie would have answered all my questions but it was lasting forever with no signs of ending and I had to go to study group.


I'm not trying to be your life mentor but I won't let work like this go by without responding to it - it's part of the teaching/learning process regardless of subject matter. Anything you read as personal was unintended.
and that was it. i haven't heard anything back and the student didn't show up for the final (consequently failing the class). as a teacher i knew that i'd have to deal with situations like these but you know, i'm never quite prepared for them and they're always more frustrating than i imagine.

1 comment:

zlb said...

Brava Kel! You acted with grace and integrity. Can't wait to see you guys on New Years!