22 December 2006

so then...

i wasn't sure what would happen next. i hoped that my student would be compelled to take responsibility, maybe even come talk to me in person. after two days passed (and the student didn't show up to class) i wondered if i'd hear anything at all. i was beginning to think that the student really didn't care... about anything. but on day three i got this:
you dont have to accept it [the assignment] if you dont want to. the reflection i wrote was entirely about the movie and had absolutely nothing to do with my actual feelings on the subject. i dont know anything about aparthied, only what i saw on the movie. i was only stating that i wish the movie would have done a better job of explaining what was going on. it felt to me like it would have been a good movie for someone to watch that already had knowlege of what the situation was like in south africa. if you think my feelings about the movie are the same as my feelings about racism and how the black people are treated poorly over there, you are very wrong.

i didnt appreciate these lines: I suggest taking a few minutes to research apartheid and get informed before making such BROAD GENERALIZATIONS AND SWEEPING JUDGEMENTS. You are now an adult which means that your ignorance is no longer an asset, it's your problem and responsibility, as is your grade in this class.

You dont know anything about me, so you are not entitled to act as a mentor for me in life. there are many things i dont like about the way you teach your class and i dont lecture you on it. so let's just stick to teaching and learning art. if you dont like my paper, fine. dont accept it. i dont care how you feel about it because your opinion has become meaningless to me.
okay... um... yeah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

bah!

Anonymous said...

Wow.

Anonymous said...

First of all, I have watched this movie with several people who don't know about Aparthied and they got it. So I don't think that the problem is the film maker's problem.

Second, this person can have no idea what was or was not explained if they didn't see the whole movie. That's like watching the first half of Crying Game and saying "I just don't see what's so shocking about this simple love story".

Third, to be an artist doesn't just mean being able to draw. An artist in my oppinion must have a certain frame of mind - I am having a difficult time explaining this point, but this guy doesn't have it. Also to be a good art-student you must have an open mind and be willing to learn (even from teachers you may not like).

Fourth, I am happy that you have shared this film and have encouraged other art forms and other cultures to your art students. It may seem a little odd since neither the film nor the culture shown in the film have anything to do with the fine art you are teaching them, but a real artist can only benifit from such things as independednt film (as a story-telling art) and also learning about new cultures and how they expressed themselved artistically or socially.

Good job Kel!

This person's an idiot!