28 June 2010

woah! Pyramind Lake!

Pyramid Lake is like Lake Tahoe's red neck cousin and we really like it. English camped there when he came to check out UNR for the first time, we strolled along the lake's windy shores last Thanksgiving, and several of our native Nevadan friends have told us some pretty great (creepy) legends about the lake.



well last weekend we took our first summer venture to the lake and it was beautiful. as we crested the hill and the lake came into view Ash and Tom started yelling, "whoa! Pyramid Lake! whoa!" of course i had to join them. we took a dirt side road into Dago Bay and as we were driving in (at about 30 mph) i noticed a small creature high-tailing it right in front of us and keeping up with our truck. turns out it was a zebra-tailed lizard. these fiends can run five meters per second and at their fastest they become bipedal. certainly, the fastest lizard i've ever seen. we also saw a ladybug moving at a regular pace.



zebra-tailed lizard pic courtesy Wikipedia (i couldn't ever get close enough with my own camera)

5 comments:

Sblogger said...

Sounds like fun, Kel. I can't believe you noticed the lizard! Way to be a keen observer of nature. Wish we could go on some of these adventures with you!

Lindsey Hicks said...

Leapin Lizards! Bipedal?! I'll say Woah to that. Oh how I miss the desert and all its inhabitants (especially you guys). I really appreciate all the nature pictures you post on your blog.

ash said...

Very cool zebra lizard...that's stuff out of the movies! Nature or Nova most likely. Pyramid Lake sounds pretty cool, I like how Ash and Tom exclaimed their excitement.

p.s. I am diggin' the new blog look. for sure.

jo said...

could be more jealous about you guys seeing the zebra lizard. just curious. any tiger beetles? looks like a prime spot for a sighting them.

and I'm with linds. love the photos.

and I'm also with ash. love the blog.

jo said...

p.s. as shown by my last comment, lack of sleep not only affects my spelling (which is always bad) but it also affects my grammar. sorry about that.