21 February 2010

the staff of life

this is what has been on my mind for the last four days:



it all started last Wednesday when we made bread with the yw. the 1st counselor's Bosch mixer was awesome, but thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Bosch mixer. i always thought i'd get a kitchen aid to help me fulfill my bread-making dreams but i was wrong. someday, some how i will have a Bosch mixer.

we've talked before about how i am a bread snob and prefer Great Harvest bread above most, if not all other breads - especially their honey whole wheat. and you probably know that this superior bread costs more than your average loaf and a lot more than the WF cardboard bread i grew up on. i like to make bread as much a possible but since i do it all by hand, i'm not too consistent so i end up buying a lot of bread from Great Harvest. however, i'm hoping to put an end to that soon.

last year we got a state of the art wheat grinder for our birthdays (thanks Carolyn) and it's been so nice to have fresh ground flour not to mention the know how for grinding wheat. i have my recipe perfected and as close to GH as it gets. i did the math and in eight months a Bosch mixer would pay for itself. so i'm pretty excited to save up for one. yeah, nerdy. i'm blogging about it. but how much Bosch mixer talk can a guy take? (thanks English.)

in other news... the light dusting of snow that was forecast for today turned out to be 16 inches... and it's still falling at a steady rate. church was canceled (amen) and we worshiped in our snowsuits.



10 comments:

Janice said...

I was raised with a Bosch and they are indeed wonderful. And, I wish we could have a snow day. It has been very dry in Utah all Winter.

Jennifer said...

My loving sister bought a Bosch for me as a wedding gift. I cherish that piece of machinery. I use it for everything. And Logan LOVES it when I pull it out. Once I found him on the counter playing with my Bosch. I can't blame him for having good taste!

jefferies said...

Awesome snowstorm!
And...I LOVE making bread. If it's not too much of a secret...I would love to try your recipe!
I got a kitchenaid when we got hitched, which is great...but I've heard bosch is even better.
I'll be a bread nerd with ya Kel!

ash said...

Reason no. 34 for starting a sister's bakery: kel can make a dang good loaf o' bread. Reason 35: when you think of Bosch for days, it's meant to be.

That snow looks delightful. And it's always great to have a day full of relaxation and snow play.

Heather said...

My mom has a Bosch that is at least 25 years old. I thought I would prefer a KitchenAid so that is what I have. Not as good as a Bosch. I was fooled! Good luck with your savings plan!

jo said...

I'm glad that this brand is proving so reliable. Because the name sound like a word you would use when mildly frustrated "bosch!"

And I'm so glad the snow day proved relaxing and fun, just like a snow day should.

By the way, it looks like you did get to keep the baby seal :)

Sblogger said...

I use my Bosch on an almost daily basis. I love it. Tell English it will be WELL worth every penny. It doesn't only save time and money with bread but other baked goods as well- baked goods like a yummy cocunut cake. Nice storm too! That looks like a blast.

Stacey said...

Yes, Yes, yes! You NEED a Bosch. I have one just like the one in the picture and it was well used. It's stored in MN now and, man, do I miss those whole wheat bread days. I think I've eaten more white bread in these last 6 months in Peru than in my whole life. I cannot tell a lie, the bread is delicious here, but there's something about a the wholesome goodness of wheat bread, eh? So, Kel, if you need someone to sign your petition list, I will be happy to. And yea, I would love that secret recipe, too, if it's not top secret.

Jensen Family said...

yay! I found you! I had to comment on this because I too must admitted that I have coveted Heidi's Bosch for many a years now and Travis got me one for my b-day/xmas present last year...I love it more than my kids! (is that bad?!?)

Kyle and Heidi Clarke said...

Ha ha! Jessica told me that you blogged about the Bosch... I'm so happy I've helped in converting one more person to the best mixer ever. Let me know when you've saved enough - I know someone who can get you 30% off! Not only will it pay for itself in 8 months... it won't ever quit working. My mom's from '76 is still in tip top condition!