13 November 2008

back to back shows or art on demand

last Thursday at 9:00 am the Art faculty started our second 24/7 show at Snow. the opening reception was Friday evening and quite a success with several big cheeses in attendance (not to mention several small cubed cheeses on the refreshments table). here's the card i designed for it.

for my piece i worked on a new dimension of the Movement Studies: patterns of movement in our domestic space (a.k.a. our kitchen and front room). the square represents the room itself and each colored line records the movement patterns of Ash, English or me within that room. i included a double-time video of the all the segments from which the drawings were made. it was a great show and i'm excited about this new work!



then this week i've been painting like a fiendish mom for the Manti Temple show at the Central Utah Art Center. the show is made up of a wide variety of Manti temple images by local artists. i just finished my painting today and the opening is... tomorrow evening!

while i was finishing it over the last few days Ash did a little painting herself. nice work, Ash! natural talent. but i just wasted my time making this photo all kitsch with the color on black and white. i'm such a nerd. look how serious this artist is.


i think i'll hang this up on my dorm, uh... i mean fridge (next to the hanging-upside-down-bouquet of dried roses).

5 comments:

ash said...

Stupendous I say! Excellent talent and concept. Your double-time video certainly, I'm sure, adds another dimension to the work. And way to finish the Manti Temple piece "just in time, I found you just in..." (sorry, I digress). You've been busy kel, thank goodness there was cubed cheese to give you energy at the event. And Ash, when is her first show? She's already got the artist's portrait to go next to the artist's explanation of the work.

Hurtado Family said...

You had me at kitsch. So great to hear about all that you are doing.

Tom

Jess said...

Very cool Kelly. I like the addition of video to the movement pieces. And, the juxtaposition of the Manti temple with the demo derby...that would make the pioneers proud.

zlb said...

i love all of these. especially that little girl at the end. you are supa dupa dope kel.

jefferies said...

Wowe! I just found your blog. I'm so lucky. It's been way too long. I can't believe how big Ash is. And I heard that you're expecting #2! So awesome. Well, hopefully we'll be able to see you guys sometime soon. WE'll be in Utah for a whole week at Christmas time. Hopefully we can catch up!