29 July 2008

sleepin' out in the back yard

i woke up around 5:00 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. such a bummer. but watching the dawn ease through the window reminded me of summer sleep-outs in the back yard with my brothers and sisters. we would roll out this big old piece of a curtain for a tarp, flop our four-inch foam pads down on top then wiggle into sleeping bags. we'd watch the stars, tell funny stories, provoke... then attack one another, run out of energy then finally fall asleep in the cool night.

in the morning the sun would get us around 7:30, coaxing us up and inside. as a teenager i'd try to fight the sun, covering my head with the sleeping bag, trying to ignore the temperature growing increasingly hot. sleep is so precious. i still feel that way. in fact i'm going to go take a nap now to make up for my lost sleep. but i digress... summer sleep-outs in the back yard are the best. i'm planning to sneak one in before school starts (which starts August 20th, ridiculous, i know).

4 comments:

Dallas said...

Hey Kelly (Johnson) Brooks,

sleeping outside is definitely the best. I remember doing that at my cousin's house in South Jordan and bouncing on the trampoline most of the night.

Thanks for commenting on our blog. Good to hear from you. Cute kid. It'll be fun to catch up at the 10 year reunion.

ash said...

Raptor impressions and flat grass, those were some great summer days. Makes we want to sleep outside too.

ashhowell said...

hey kel..i just noticed that Dr. Strangelove is one of your fav movies...I just watched that the other night...in my Backyard!!! Speaking of backyards I am having a pre-reunion shindig in my Backyard on Friday...email me if you will be in town...ashhowell801@gmail.com

jo said...

What fun times those were, waking up to the cool summer breeze. I remember usually waking up first and soaking up the morning freshness. And I was so jealous that you always got the "burrito" to sleep on. It was genius to think to bring it out.