26 November 2006

holiday music reform

it's not like any of us really need to comment on the holiday music ambush that is taking place, but after the bombardment i sat through at a nice Italian restaurant yesterday i cannot help myself. i know it's customary to take to the stores the day after Thanksgiving in order to get the holiday deals and i know that holiday deals must be accompanied by holiday tunes. but why oh, why for the next four weeks does all other music have to be placed behind closed doors and swept under rugs? people don't replace all of their other non-holiday stuff with mistletoe and cinnamon scented candles. no one i know towels off after a shower with a tree skirt or replaces Lost with Mr. Kruger's Christmas. so why must we jam in yet another rendition of Let It Snow where a perfectly nice, equally as pleasing non-holiday song should go?

now don't get me wrong, i have almost seven and a half hours of holiday music on my computer... i'm no Scrooge. alls i'm saying is, for the same reason you're not pouring egg nog on your Cherrios every morning this month, let's mix in a few songs that are fine and good the rest of the year into our holiday audio experience. i bet there would be less fighting and more Christmas cheer if we did.

7 comments:

zlb said...

I don't mind the onslaught, I was the kid listening to bing crosby's christmas in July. . . but I know what you mean especially in commercial settings. I've realized I love MY Christmas.. . my holiday music/movies/books/traditions/ and most importantly meaning. However the commerical version gives me the nauseated wal-mart feeling (or ranch feeling for you). If you, or I, or someone else we know and like could dj for all the stores, I'd be more than happy. Maybe we should rock it 80's style and start carrying boom boxes around on our shoulders blaring our version of holiday tunes.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on this, Kel. I have had it with the Christmas stuff being out before Halloween and the music starting before I'm ready. The thing I hate the most is the way all the pop stars have to do their own rendition of holiday favorites. They just butcher them, in my opinion. I'll stick to my old foggie instrumental music and my Sinatra.

Anonymous said...

I don't like any of the music that they play in the stores, whatever the time of year. I quite shopping at The GAP for this very reason.

-Fred NY

Anonymous said...

I think Fred meant quit. He married me because I'm good at catching his spelling mistakes.

jo said...

wait... egg nog in my cheerios? why haven't I thought of this before!

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I think all of you are Scrooges.

kel said...

okay, fine, but please tell me you don't like that 'Hey Santa' song that sounds like the 'My Buddy' jingle...