19 February 2011

hail the conquering heros

Ash and Tom are now thumb-free! four weeks ago we had a pep talk, painted a little Mavala Stop (the harmless, yet effective thumb-sucking prevention nail polish, made in Switzerland) on each of their thumbs, and hoped for the best.

the first few days were a bit rocky. Tom gagged (and then threw up) in Costco on day one but we were in no way defeated... just a little stinky and sour on the way home. Ash woke up with "the bitter!" taste in her mouth for three or four nights but we stayed strong. both kids even got nasty colds - with fevers to boot - and they still made it through.

i think they had a handle on it after only a week but we kept the bitter polish on for three whole weeks just to be sure. and now, here we are! no more thumbs and two happy kids. we celebrated with some swirl-your-own frozen yogurt. good work kiddos.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Way to go!! I wont say how old I was when I stopped sucking the thumb, but these two cute kiddos beat me by a mile :) Caylee got super sick with a cold while we were weaning her off the pacifier, but we kept with it. Thats the key:)

Sblogger said...

I'm so proud of them and you and English- you and I know it's just as hard for the parents as it is for the kids. Will is off the binky too!! Hip hip hooray! It's fabulous.

jo said...

Congrats to them both! And to you.

Keep a detailed journal. I'm sure I'm going to be calling you, "Um, hey Kel. I've gotta question..." in about 1 and a 1/2 years' time.

Heather said...

Good work guys!

ash said...

Cheers! A feat indeed!