01 December 2010

that's what i should have said!

today at the grocery store a friendly fellow shopper started interacting with Ash and Tom. he said something typical like" how much you pay for 'em?" and stuff like that. then he asked their names and when Ash said hers he said, "Ash, for Ashley?"

Ash is already used to this question and she promptly responded, "just Ash." At that point the guy looked at me and said, "Ash? what a terrible name."

seriously? are you a social idiot or just a jerk (or both)?

i gave a shocked laugh and replied, "what a terrible thing to say. her name is Ash and we happen like it."

"so is it Ash for Ashley?"

"no. just Ash. like the beautiful tree." by now i'm annoyed and done.

then he says, quite genuinely concerned, "but what if some one mispronounces her name and says Ass? that wouldn't be good."

"yep." we start walking away a the guy says to Tom, "don't suck your thumb, it'll make your teeth poke out."

"he's going to be fine." (yeah, definitely both.)

now, i like people in general and i'm used to playing the whole game where the random person interacts with my kids at the store and i stand by as the omniscient narrator. but this guy pushed it too far. so at what point do you say, "alright, well that's enough" or "all done" or "yeah, don't talk to us anymore"? in hindsight it seems like it should have been said early on. i hate that.

oh, yeah! and Merry Christmas everyone!

12 comments:

jo said...

My, my. Wow. What does one say to someone like that. I must say that you handled the situation quite well.

In return, I'll tell you one that I've experienced. Just last week at the bowling alley we got a, "Wow, she could fly away with those ears. Are you getting ready to fly away?" I wish I had had a preplanned response, but instead I smiled and said, "It was nice to talk to you." and pretended I needed to go stand in a different part of the place.

Josette said...

what the what? where do people get the nerve. what a butthead.

Janice said...

Having three children with someone "different" names. (Toothsome #2 is so plain, people consider it different), I can tell you, ignore and walk away. It will make you fume, but ignore and walk away.

Lindsey Hicks said...

Some people are such creeps! What makes your story so particularly awful is that Ash is old enough to understand everything and he insulted her.

These are must worst stranger experiences so far: A man came up and put his hand on Norah's head (while I was carrying her in her ergo carrier) and lectured me on how I wasn't supporting her head enough (she was 14 months old!). Another time I was walking across a street (on a cross walk) and a lady pulled up to the stop sign when I was about half way across. She followed me in her car yelling at me telling me I was a reckless parent for not waiting for her to stop. I rationally know I don't owe these creepy people any acknowledgment but in the moment you are so stunned by their inappropriate behavior that you almost think there must be some explanation and by the time you've processed it all it is too late. I too lament the missed opportunities to tell them to mind their own beeswax.

Lindsey Hicks said...

I meant to say my worst, not must worst.

ash said...

I concur with all of thee above comments. Where does this guy get off? I liked your suggestion of saying, "That's enough, don't talk to us anymore." That response is still nicer than he is being, and it hopefully gives him the message that his comments are not to be tolerated. Where is the tact? Where are the manners? Sorry for the experience. You dealt with it beautifully and with such grace I might add.

Anonymous said...

Why is hindsight ALWAYS 20-20? Well, most of the time. I'm the best at greatest responses at 2 am when there is no pressure and lots of time to think. I'm sorry for that experience.

zlb said...

too bad your land lord only taught you how to paint a house and not how to karate chop that guys lips off!

Sblogger said...

Who does he think he is? And does he think you really care about his opinion?! He must have thought quite a bit of himself and most likely no one else does! Maybe he was having a bad day and went to the store to take it out on three very innocent and patient people!

Heather said...

Kelly..I am looking forward to hearing what happens to the next guy because, knowing you, I know it's going to be good.
Pretty much there are idiots everywhere.

linny said...

Unbelievable! Lucky for him Grandma wasn't there!

cate said...

You should have asked him his name. With whatever his response was ask him "But what if someone mispronounces your name and calls you Socially Backwards Ass?"

Woops! Don't repeat that to Ash or Tom.