04 October 2008

Our Mutual Friend, a review of sorts

it's been a while since i've read any Dickens (ninth grade, excerpts from 'Great Expectations'). perhaps i should read some more. in the mean time, however, i'm perfectly content with watching BBC versions of his stories. last night we just finished watching 'Our Mutual Friend' for the third time in about as many years and it was as good as ever. the story intertwines characters and sub plots galore. you meet virtuous, silly, and treacherous folk in poor and wealthy classes alike. and it's very well done (no out-of-date synth music to throw you off). i highly recommend this video to everyone.

p.s. i might not be a bad idea to watch the first little bit with the subtitles on until you get used to the cockney accent.

4 comments:

jo said...

And even though the title of this story always seems to come out, "Our Best Friend's Neighbor" when I say it, I also really enjoyed this BBC rendition due to your recommendation.


Thanks again!

Kaerlig said...

Hey Kelly and English. I found your blog off of Tom and Laura's site. I'll have to check out the show you reviewed.

I am way impressed by the 30 mile jog that English did. Way impressed.

So, I'll be checking your blog out- okay with you?

kel said...

indeed, check us out! we have such awesome adventures and goings on... you'll be rocked.

Jess said...

Thanks to you, Ash and I enjoyed this series as well. BBC puts out some great products. I would recommend their recent adaptation of David Copperfield if you haven't seen it yet.